Original Post by DVC Dan
Okay, trying to have a little fun here. What are everybody's' unpopular opinions about DVC? It can be about specific resorts or room types or restaura
We start in Canada more often than not too. I also love the Ottawa apple, and for beer, IMO, starting there gets you closer to good ones ( UK) than starting in Mexico does.
SSR 🐴 AKL 🦒 BWV🎠
Unpopular opinion: The dvc rooms are never cleaned or maintained as well as any regular resort rooms! We go 2x a year to wdw Spring we use our dvc points, and fall we book AP rates at mostly value resorts. Hand down the rooms at values are way cleaner and maintained compared to the dvc room. Always dirtier and things broken or chipped or worn. Been years we have noticed this.
I'll jump in with an unpopular opinion: SSR is actually a good resort and isn't just for "sleep around points". We stayed there for the first time for…
We actually haven't stayed at SSR on our last few visits and I've scheduled it for one of our trips for next year (split stay between SSR and BRV) and it is by intent because I miss it.
Unpopular opinion: The dvc rooms are never cleaned or maintained as well as any regular resort rooms! We go 2x a year to wdw Spring we use our dvc poi…
wow! Thats diabolical on Disney’s part. Most DVC members wouldn’t notice because they are only starting in DVC rooms. I wonder if tge cleaning once every 4-8 days contributes to this.
Contracts: Saratoga 🏌️ Polynesian 🏝️
Resort Challenge: BLT ✅, BRV ✅, AKV - Jambo ✅, BCV ✅, BWV ✅, PVB ✅, RIV ✅, SSR ✅, VGF ✅, Aulani ✅, VBR ✅
Still Need: CCV, AKV - Kidani, OKW, CFW, VGC, VDH, HHI
I think part of the problem is the members themselves. DVC rooms get used hard and some members go too far in terms of how they treat those rooms. Sometime ago this was actually a topic of one of Amy and Paul's videos and I remember Paul saying something along the lines of walking by rooms with the door open while people were checking out and he said that he has seen some rooms that look like "crime scenes." His words not mine.
I think part of the problem is the members themselves. DVC rooms get used hard and some members go too far in terms of how they treat those rooms. Som…
People unfortunately do trash the rooms. Looking at the 1 and 2BRs at Riviera that have that weird lock. People can't seem to figure them out so they end yanking the door with it still locked to the point where it has stripped out the strike plate. I had maintenance try and drill it back into the door and it still didn't work afterwards because it has been stripped so many times but I just gave up because we were only going to be there for 2 nights before moving to a grand villa. I hope Disney switches the locks to normal handle locks because people obviously can't figure it out without ruining the doors to the bathroom.
Proud owners at:
Riviera 🇫🇷 Aulani 🌺 Animal Kingdom 🦒 Polynesian 🌴
That’s aweful. People can be so rude and inconsiderate. The rule is to treat things like they were your own. I don’t know if it’s because people are paying for a room so they feel they can do whatever they want with it? Or maybe DVC owners think they can do whatever they want because they are “owners”? Although, they would never treat their own home that way. DVC should start imposing penalties for rooms that are trashed upon checkout.
Mike
DVC Member since 2020 (BCV)
✈️🏖️🏰🍸🏈
I fully agree! I just checked into the Grand Cal onna 1BR... take a look at that picture this room is so dirty in some areas it is giving me some real tower of terror vibes.


That’s aweful. People can be so rude and inconsiderate. The rule is to treat things like they were your own. I don’t know if it’s because people are p…
My thoughts is that ots the renters. Im aure its a mix of both but id like to think as owners, we would treat ot as good if bot better than our homes!
DVC 2025 🏝️ Riviera 🥖 Boardwalk 🎠 WDW AP 🎟️
DisneyDad - Point Miser - PTO Enthusiast
My unpopular opinion ... I love the one bedrooms despite the point premium. We did 20 years of trips with everyone stacked on top of each other to save points and extend our trips. Now that it's just the hubs and me, we like the one bedrooms. I'd rather do fewer nights in a nice room with a nice view and some nice meals.
Other unpopular opinion ... We love RR (esp those one bedrooms). We sold BCV and bought RR. When our kids were younger they loved SAB, but now that it's just us we love RR. We like the food and the quiet atmosphere (and surprisingly the skyliner). We aren't fond of the overly-themed resorts.
We love Riviera too, loved it so much we bought there in 2022 despite having two contracts with SSR already and looking to inherit a substantial amount of points from OKW and BRV.
Agree with you 100% on the 1BRs too, as one friend of mine said, "It's not about going more, it's about going better."
Where to start with this one! I have so many to choose from, here goes: The new Polynesian tower just makes me sad. It's the antithesis of Disney wher…
Soft agree with points on Poly and Bob Iger, definitely agree with the escalation of point charts. We love our membership and are probably going to add on this summer, but I haven't seen - someone correct me? - compelling math on the value post-2042 when those older, cheaper point charts go away. I suppose there is a counterargument that the higher point charts are at higher rack rate resorts like Grand Floridian and Poly, but it definitely changes the value. We know all the future charts are more likely to look like Poly than OKW, especially if they don't find an interesting way to extend those.
My other hot take is that there are ways in which DVC makes it more difficult to vacation with family if you don't have the points or willingness to pay for them all the time. 🤣 It changes your tastes. We have already taken extended family more than we anticipated, so now have to figure out the calculus of doing 2BR options more often. We'd love to be able to treat them, but it wasn't in the initial thinking and math that we'd go with my brother's whole family of four, more that we'd take our other sister-in-law or mother-in-law occasionally. A good problem, but a problem.
I'm sure I'll get some hate from this one but, I'd rather get ice cream at the boardwalk than beaches and cream, its overrated and I've had bad service too many times to justify going back. Boardwalk has although smaller portions better prices and better service. 3 of us got sundays for under $20.
Derek
🏰 Disney Adult

I'm sure I'll get some hate from this one but, I'd rather get ice cream at the boardwalk than beaches and cream, its overrated and I've had bad servic…
I agree. Beaches and Cream is cute; however its a ine and done for me. I prefer the Boardwalk ice cream too!
DVC Member since 2024. Riviera, Copper Creek, and Saratoga Springs (Away from Disney Home - NC)
Disney Annual Passholder
Disney Castaway Club - Silver
Royal Caribbean - Emerald
Lover of Travel - All Spots around the World
Agree on Lakeshore Lodge - The overhead shots of the construction and how it sits on top of Fort Wilderness are jarring (and not in a good way). I rea…
I went to Hoop Dee Doo Revue a few months back. Sitting on the benches across from the ticketing area of Hoop Dee Doo, and seeing the construction of the tower hovering over the building is a vibe killer. I hope they can do something about that view...maybe plant some giant redwood trees. LOL
Have fun, and "See Ya Real Soon!"

Visiting WDW since 1976. DVC Member since 2002. Owner at BCV.
Unpopular opinion: stop building towers. If i want to stay in a building that looks like an office building, Holiday Inn or the medical center i can drive down the road. I want to feel like I am on vacation and not like its one of the 20 other hotels I stay in for work. This is probably one of the biggest reasons we like places like AKV, OKW & SSR.
Unpopular opinion: stop building towers. If i want to stay in a building that looks like an office building, Holiday Inn or the medical center i can d…
I also would prefer less tower oriented properties, but I think it's inevitable. I have to imagine it's easier to maintain over the long haul, and that does equal lower dues over time. Hopefully there is a way to accomplish a hybrid approach where new resorts are able to do a little of both.

.
Unpopular opinion: stop building towers. If i want to stay in a building that looks like an office building, Holiday Inn or the medical center i can d…
Really dont think this is an unpopular opinion, except of course with DVD Management!
Member since 1996. BWV, AKV, BLT, VDH, VGC. Working on a better Signature
Here's one I noticed. ( please correct me if I am wrong) The regular hotel rooms at Poly are so much nicer better themed/decorated than the DVC studios (old section of poly, not the new tower) I saw inside of a regular hotel room and it looked amazing. Our DVC room was just OK on its theming and decor. We didnt hate it but once we saw a regular hotel room there was no comparison. Anyone else feel the same way ???
Really dont think this is an unpopular opinion, except of course with DVD Management!
I don’t know. One counterpoint I would offer in defense of towers is they allow for an arguably better view.
And one thing I will absolutely defend them for is the lack of a need for internal bus loops (sans Gran Destino), and a much shorter walk at the end of a long park day.
I don’t know. One counterpoint I would offer in defense of towers is they allow for an arguably better view. And one thing I will absolutely defend th…
Sometimes, you can get a better view. I would argue one of the best views we have ever had was at BWV.
I m also not so concerned about Bus transportation. We are on vacation and a few minutes On a bus or the walk back to the room is fine with us
BLT / Contemporary is boring and ugly. I have no desire to ever stay there
AKL/Kidani does not feel "Disney" enough. We visited with the hopes of booking a stay. It felt far more isolated than we realized and a bit sleepy. We were there for 6 hours and saw very few animals on either Savannah. Not planning to book after touring
I hate Disney Springs
Luminous is better than Harmonious
🙋♀️Adoptive Mom 💜Neurodiverse Family
BLT / Contemporary is boring and ugly. I have no desire to ever stay there AKL/Kidani does not feel "Disney" enough. We visited with the hopes of book…
So sorta agree here. We were disappointed when walking into BLT for the first time. The theming was underwhelming. Lobby is small. However that quickly faded. The clubhouse is among the best in DVC. The grandkids really loved it. CMs are top notch and so very cheerful and helpful.
We stay in 2 br villas and having 3 bathrooms is a blessing with the grandkids, their parents and us. I do not like towers, but BLT does not seem out of place next to the contemporary. It kinda fits in, Unlike the PIT at poly and soon the LSL. I think BLT is just a hidden gem. That being said, I really dont like all they did in the refurb. They took away seating in the common area. The Murphy beds are horrible couches and not much better bed.
The pool is nothing special, but the grandkids love it.
I really get why BLT is polarizing. Like RIV, you either love it or hate it. Not much in between.
We always stay at Jambo House, which definitely has a Disney feel for us. The grandkids gave up a park day to do all the activities in the lobbies. They finished the bead activity. My Grown Daughter also got a kick out of doing the beads with her kids.
As to DS. Agreed. I liked it better in the old days when there was Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney. It is too big, too crowded, too expensive, just too everything. Pretty much avoid it unless going to the big Disney Store. Ok the M&M store is pretty cool as well.
Member since 1996. BWV, AKV, BLT, VDH, VGC. Working on a better Signature
OK, this is my first reply and first post. My wife and I love SSR. We love that large resorts that make you feel like your inside of something. I have…
You should enter a high school and see what they are wearing. Less and less.
Our home sweet homes!
Poly - 2016
SSR - 2020
I'm sorry, but I'm not excited about Boardwalk. Except for the Pool...
I just got back from a whirl-wind deluxe resort 8 night trip, with the last two evenings originally set to be a Boardwalk 'Boardwalk View' studio, followed by a night in a Boardwalk 'Boardwalk View' 1 BR (so we could do laundry in the room before heading home. )
It was raining and very wet both days. Though, this was okay. We were at the pool when not in Epcot.
That first night at Boardwalk, I walked out onto the balcony to wave at my oldest grandbaby, who was headed over to the Corn Dog stand to grab dinner. Then I spent about 5 minutes standing there doing a little people watching. But everything was so wet, I came back in.
I didn't note it at first, but about 15 minutes after coming back inside, while sitting on the bed, my daughter pointed out to me that both my feet had a solid film of drying tan/brown paint sludge on them.

I called engineering, and told them that night. They said they'd log the issue. And I also mentioned this during checkout for the studio the next morning asking them to fix this before the next guest had a similar experience.
After checking out, I then turned in my luggage in to Bell Services and went about my day, awaiting the Boardwalk text telling me my 1BR Boardwalk View was ready to occupy.
About 5pm, after not receiving any confirmation about my 1BR, I went to the front desk and let them know I still had no room number.
After about 5 minutes, the nice lady at the front desk informed me that engineering had not released the room and they were at full occupancy. So the only thing they could do was book me in a 2BR Villa at Beach Club and give me a room credit.
I didn't turn this down, as I LOVE Beach Club and money, but my two nights of people watching the boardwalk from my balcony was a no go. The saving grace? My Grandbabies love Stormalong Bay.
But I wonder if I hadn't said anything, would I have had that 1BR the 2nd night.... hmm...
Poly and AKV Resale
I'm sorry, but I'm not excited about Boardwalk. Except for the Pool... I just got back from a whirl-wind deluxe resort 8 night trip, with the last two…
Fear not, all unpopular opinions are welcome here...
Unpopular opinion: With the parks all being landlocked and between new DVC properties and their regular resorts, Disney will eventually make it impossible to get tickets unless you stay on property.
150 PVB Feb
@Fortholm We stayed at BWV exactly 13 years ago this week. I've never wanted to go back. Back then, there was no Riviera with Skyliner access, to the Epcot access was unique. But even so, it was just meh (to us).
I think there are some long-time DVCers who love BWV nostalgia. Or maybe they started their DVC journey as empty-nesters (or with older kids), and the Epcot access was key. Our stay included a 2 year old and a 1-year old Birthday Boy, so we admittedly were not the target audience 😂 Now our teens are more into Epcot, but we own Riviera for that purpose.
I've never stayed at BCV, but we have a reservation for April, and I'm excited!
Member since 2009. BLT 🚝 RIV 🚡 VGF 🫖
DVC Challenge: ✅ OKW 🔘 VB 🔘 HHI ✅ BWV 🔘 BCV ✅ BRV ✅ SSR ✅ AKV ✅ BLT 🔘 VGC ✅ AUL ✅ VGF 🔘 PVB ✅ CCV ✅ RIV 🔘 VDH ✅ CFW
So sorta agree here. We were disappointed when walking into BLT for the first time. The theming was underwhelming. Lobby is small. However that quickl…
I agree that BLT requires you to look beneath the surface. We bought BLT before it opened. I was underwhelmed when I first checked in, as we had stayed at Boulder Ridge and Saratoga Springs before. I was expecting lobby-grandeur 😂
But the huge windows, views of the lake, extra bathroom, walk to MK, access to all the monorail resorts for dining, etc. make it such a wonderful experience. I never feel isolated at BLT (like I did at the Cabins at FW and can feel at OKW and AKV). And the remodel is really beautiful. We just got back from a 7-night stay. Had a wonderful time.
It's funny you mentioned RIV as a comparison. We walked through RIV in 2021 and were massively underwhelmed. Didn't understand why anyone would desire it. Then we stayed there in 2024 and fell in love with the room design, the Skyliner and the ease of moving around the resort. And we added on 😆
Member since 2009. BLT 🚝 RIV 🚡 VGF 🫖
DVC Challenge: ✅ OKW 🔘 VB 🔘 HHI ✅ BWV 🔘 BCV ✅ BRV ✅ SSR ✅ AKV ✅ BLT 🔘 VGC ✅ AUL ✅ VGF 🔘 PVB ✅ CCV ✅ RIV 🔘 VDH ✅ CFW
Here's one I noticed. ( please correct me if I am wrong) The regular hotel rooms at Poly are so much nicer better themed/decorated than the DVC studio…
I think the rooms and the DVC Deluxe studios were both updated in 2021...but the DVC Studios only got a softgoods refurb. While the hotel rooms got a comprehensive Moana-style makeover.
I think the projected hardgoods refurb for Poly is 2028...so maybe then? I agree that things start to look really tired before a long-awaited refurb. We stayed at BLT in 2021 and said "never again until the refurb." We were at Aulani in 2025 and will wait until its 2028 refurb is complete to visit again.
Member since 2009. BLT 🚝 RIV 🚡 VGF 🫖
DVC Challenge: ✅ OKW 🔘 VB 🔘 HHI ✅ BWV 🔘 BCV ✅ BRV ✅ SSR ✅ AKV ✅ BLT 🔘 VGC ✅ AUL ✅ VGF 🔘 PVB ✅ CCV ✅ RIV 🔘 VDH ✅ CFW
Unpopular opinion: stop building towers. If i want to stay in a building that looks like an office building, Holiday Inn or the medical center i can d…
I agree. But then I don't want to pay dues at the non-tower resort prices 😂 We own BLT and RIV (two offending tower resorts) and VGF. But collectively the only way we could lower our dues would've been to buy Poly instead of Riv.
I agree my favorite resorts are separate buildings as add-ons to an existing Deluxe Resort (VGF, BRV, etc.). But, on the other hand I HATE the conversion of hotel rooms into DVC (like CCV with its low ceilings and cave-like feeling). I wish they'd stick to the BRV and VGF size buildings, but money, money, money...
Member since 2009. BLT 🚝 RIV 🚡 VGF 🫖
DVC Challenge: ✅ OKW 🔘 VB 🔘 HHI ✅ BWV 🔘 BCV ✅ BRV ✅ SSR ✅ AKV ✅ BLT 🔘 VGC ✅ AUL ✅ VGF 🔘 PVB ✅ CCV ✅ RIV 🔘 VDH ✅ CFW
I agree. But then I don't want to pay dues at the non-tower resort prices 😂 We own BLT and RIV (two offending tower resorts) and VGF. But collectivel…
The problem with towers is that as a structure they are just too darn functional. Build up, not out and all of that. You got more rooms on the same plot of land.
@Fortholm We stayed at BWV exactly 13 years ago this week. I've never wanted to go back. Back then, there was no Riviera with Skyliner access, to the …
Old time bwv'er here and we bought when i had one child and he was 2 (he's 24 now!). We have loved it over the years but once we tried Riviera I loved it more even though I'm not a huge fan of the skyliner I suck it up for the nicer rooms. BWV has been allowed to fall into neglect imo. Yes they're putting new stuff in but it's taken years and the loss of the espn club was a massive blow to us.
We've been swapping out to Riv mostly at 7m but will stay bwv when trying to conserve points because you cannot beat the 2 bedroom points.
My unpopular opinion is that they are going to tear down bwv and put up a tower after 2042.
Old time bwv'er here and we bought when i had one child and he was 2 (he's 24 now!). We have loved it over the years but once we tried Riviera I loved…
Totally share you view about BWV. We bought BWV way back in 1996 and have watched the decline. It used to be a destination and was really hopping at night. Sadly it is a shadow of its former self. However it is getting a bit of love and maybe the Villas side of the boardwalk wont be a ghost town much longer.
It will be interesting what happens in 2042. A tower is certainly possible, but would really screw up crescent lake.
Member since 1996. BWV, AKV, BLT, VDH, VGC. Working on a better Signature
@kkarmah and @Disneygrandpa -I never really got to enjoy the nightlife of BW before they started dismantling it. I do think there's some attention toward improving it. You both are probably right about a future tower, but I would really hate that from an aesthetic standpoint.
And @kkarmah I totally agree about the value in a 2BR. We mostly stay 1BRs, but avoid BWV and BCV because the 1BRs don't have the twin murphy bed (our teens prefer to sleep in separate beds). But we got a 2BR at BCV in April, and I think we're going to be spoiled! We won't often repeat a 2BR, because we mostly stay at BLT, VGF and RIV.
Member since 2009. BLT 🚝 RIV 🚡 VGF 🫖
DVC Challenge: ✅ OKW 🔘 VB 🔘 HHI ✅ BWV 🔘 BCV ✅ BRV ✅ SSR ✅ AKV ✅ BLT 🔘 VGC ✅ AUL ✅ VGF 🔘 PVB ✅ CCV ✅ RIV 🔘 VDH ✅ CFW
@kkarmah and @Disneygrandpa -I never really got to enjoy the nightlife of BW before they started dismantling it. I do think there's some attention tow…
I have a twin aerobed in my owner's locker so if I'm trying to save pts and stay a 1br at bwv one of my kids was on the air bed (a boy and girl) .
I have a twin aerobed in my owner's locker so if I'm trying to save pts and stay a 1br at bwv one of my kids was on the air bed (a boy and girl) .
Good idea. I have a boy and a girl too.
Of course, they're so spoiled with DVC, they'd rather us pick a 1BR that has the extra twin 😂. It's our fault. We bougth DVC before they were born. We tell them all the time that they're just bougie-by-proxy, because we enjoy these vacations.
Member since 2009. BLT 🚝 RIV 🚡 VGF 🫖
DVC Challenge: ✅ OKW 🔘 VB 🔘 HHI ✅ BWV 🔘 BCV ✅ BRV ✅ SSR ✅ AKV ✅ BLT 🔘 VGC ✅ AUL ✅ VGF 🔘 PVB ✅ CCV ✅ RIV 🔘 VDH ✅ CFW
@kkarmah and @Disneygrandpa -I never really got to enjoy the nightlife of BW before they started dismantling it. I do think there's some attention tow…
Yup BW was a real destination all on its own. I think it competed too much with Disney Springs, Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island in the old days. Nice to see it getting some love, FINALLY!
Member since 1996. BWV, AKV, BLT, VDH, VGC. Working on a better Signature
Yup BW was a real destination all on its own. I think it competed too much with Disney Springs, Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island in the old days. N…
For sure, in olden times the BW was just as much of a night-time destination as Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island...but it never had anything as delightful as The Adventurers Club.
KUNGALOOSH!
Owner at SSR and OKW + Serious case of add-on-itus + Doing WDW since 1976!
For sure, in olden times the BW was just as much of a night-time destination as Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island...but it never had anything as delight…
We would go to the Boardwalk during the day when the kids were little. There was a bunch to see and ice cream was a plus! We have never stayed at BWV. After reading everyone's comments, that may be a good thing! LOL! Realistically, we will at least once before 2042.
Our home sweet homes!
Poly - 2016
SSR - 2020
We would go to the Boardwalk during the day when the kids were little. There was a bunch to see and ice cream was a plus! We have never stayed at BWV.…
staying at the Boardwalk is still a treat. The location cant be beat and its still pretty lively at night.
DVC 2025 🏝️ Riviera 🥖 Boardwalk 🎠 WDW AP 🎟️
DisneyDad - Point Miser - PTO Enthusiast
Back in the day, I think you needed to be a member staying on property to go to the lounge, but apparently it was not making enough money. Last I chec…
The lounge is only available for direct members. It's a shame, because it used to be one of the few perks that resale members got.
I'm okay with Disney restricting access for new membership extras going forward, but taking a pre-existing benefit away never sat right with me.
The lounge is only available for direct members. It's a shame, because it used to be one of the few perks that resale members got. I'm okay with Disne…
Sorry to hear that. i think that is a really sucky thing for DVC to do. I was under the impression they tended to grandfather benefits for people who bought resale before restrictions got put into place.
You are correct that grandfathered resale members/those who qualify for membership extras are allowed to use the lounge.
Prior to the pandemic, it was available to ALL members. When they opened back up post-Covid, the lounge was for direct/grandfathered members only. I'm totally okay with them restricting access to the new lounges. But taking away a benefit that existed for years seems cruel and punitive.
I truly believe the only reason they got away with this is because it happened during all of the other Covid cuts. If this were to happen now, the bad press would be brutal.
An alternative path would have been for Disney to simply offer more members' lounges.
150 PVB Feb
You are correct that grandfathered resale members/those who qualify for membership extras are allowed to use the lounge. Prior to the pandemic, it was…
Question, when you say lounges, do you mean the member lounges in EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom (and at Disneyland) or do you mean the Bay Lake Towers lounge or do you mean all of them?